Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bee nice


This little panel is something I made a few years ago now, for a good friend celebrating her 25th wedding anniversary. This is the first time I have had a digital image of the panel, so I thought I'd post it here. It's actually one of my favourite pieces of work that I have created, mainly because technically it's very competent - it's a single piece of glass that has been sandblasted, painted (and fired) stained and enamelled, and engraved. It probably went through the kiln 7-9 times, so it was very labor intensive, but I think the results are good.


I know that a bumble bee doesn't actually have much to do with honeycomb, but bumbles are so much more interesting to depict than ordinary worker bees (sorry bees!) so I used a little poetic license. My friend Jane particularly likes bees, which is why I chose it as a subject matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment